Mexican authorities have detained two suspects in a border city massacre
Mexican authorities have arrested two suspects in the massacre of more than 15 people over the weekend in the northern border state of Tamaulipas, prosecutors said.
The suspects were among four gunmen arrested in a police raid that released 18 people illegally detained near the city of Reynosa, where the mass shooting took place, prosecutor Tamaulipas said.
Initial investigations “show that at least two of those arrested played a significant role in Saturday’s incident (June 19) in the parish of Reynosa, in which 15 people died,” the statement said.
The Mexican prosecutor in charge of the inquiry stated that another suspect had been apprehended on Monday.
President AndresPresident Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador condemned the indiscriminate killing of gunmen in vehicles as a “cowardly attack that claimed the lives of innocent people”.
On the day of the incident, the police stated five alleged culprits were killed by security personnel. Reynosa, on the U.S. border, has been shaken in recent years by a growing territorial war among competing drug gangs.
It is one of the country’s most violent areas, with more than 300,000 people killed since the government sent troops into the drug war in 2006.
Read Also: Pre-arrest bail was granted to Shehbaz Sharif and his son Hamza
#MexicanAuthorities Published in Lahore Herald